Verify that your infrastructure meets the requirements described in Requirements before proceeding with the installation.
See Upgrading from Concerto (4.x) if you are upgrading to DTP from Concerto (4.x and older).
See Upgrading from a Previous Version of DTP if you are upgrading an existing DTP installation.
In this section:
Installing DTP on Windows
Run the DTP installation file to launch the installation wizard.
- Read and accept the license agreement when prompted to continue.
Choose an installation directory and click Next. By default, DTP installs in the C:\ directory under Parasoft. If you plan to install DTP Enterprise Pack (see next step) and want to install install to the Program Files directory, you will need to start DTP Enterprise Pack using the console as administrator (see Getting Started with DTP Enterprise Pack).
- Choose your installation options when prompted. You can install DTP Enterprise Pack at this time or re-run the installer to add it to your DTP infrastructure later.
Choose a location for the start menu shortcut and click Next.
Review the installation information and click Install when ready or click Back to choose a different installation location.
Click Finish after the installation is complete to start DTP Server and Data Collector.
See Opening and Licensing DTP to begin using DTP.
Installing DTP on Linux
Some Linux distributions do not ship with all libraries necessary to install DTP with an embedded database. You should install the libraries before deploying DTP (see the note under step 6).
About Cent OS 7 Installations
The DTP.sh installer requires the package to be unzipped on Cent OS 7. Run the following command to unzip the installer prior to running the DTP.sh:
sudo yum install unzip
- If you are logged in as the root user and are installing the embedded database distribution of DTP on Linux, log out and log back in as another user with administrator privileges.
Extract the DTP installation script from the tarball to your current directory. The following command is an example of a common method:
Run the DTP installation script and use the -i option to specify the target directory location. You must enter the full path. For example:
Do not use a relative path to specify the installation directory:
You will be prompted to specify a location if you run the script without doing so.
If you want to install Parasoft DTP Enterprise Pack, choose
[y]and press Enter when prompted. Enterprise Pack includes Extension Designer and Policy Center, which are additional applications that enable you to derive sophisticated SDLC data analytics and implement granular programming policies. See DTP Enterprise Pack for additional information. A valid DTP Enterprise license is required to use Extension Designer and Policy Center functionality. You can install Enterprise Pack later by re-running the DTP installer and using the
- If a crontab configuration file is detected during installation, choose
[D]to review the crontab entries or
[S]to bypass crontab configuration. The prompt will only appear if the crontab has preexisting entries. Otherwise, the installer will set the crontab entries for DTP automatically.
If your DTP distribution includes an embedded database server, the server will automatically start during installation. Some Linux distributions, however, do not ship with all libraries necessary to install embedded database distributions of DTP. The installer will exit after printing the following message to the console:
Install the libraries as described in your Linux distribution documentation and restart the installation process.
Installation will also stop if you are logged in as the root user (see step 1) and print the following message to the console:
Starting DTP Services
Run the DTP Configuration Manager after the installation completes:
The DTP main menu is displayed:
Choose (1) to enter the DTP Server menu.
- Choose (1) again to run the service and (q) to return to the menu.
- Choose (2) to enter the Data Collector menu.
- Choose (1) to run the Data Collector service and (q) to return to the menu
- Choose (3) to enter the Enterprise Pack menu.
- Choose (1) to start Extension Designer and Policy Center and choose (q) to return to the menu. You can only start and stop DTP Enterprise Pack through the DTP console interface. Additional administration commands for Enterprise Pack applications are available in the dedicated dtpservices.sh in the [DTP_INSTALL]/dtpservices/ directory. See Getting Started with DTP Enterprise Pack.
See Opening and Licensing DTP to begin using DTP.
Additional Installation Notes
- For Windows installations, we recommend using a third-party zip compression utility, such as WinZip, WinRar, or 7Zip to extract the distribution files for installation. Microsoft Windows' built-in Uncompress utility (from Windows Explorer) has many issues—for example, directory and file name size limitations and performance issues. If you extract the DTP installer using Windows Explorer, you may get a "Path too long" error message. The same error may also result if you open the distribution with 7Zip and drag the DTP folder from the 7Zip UI to the desktop.
- The installed.file.lst file in the installation directory is used to track which installation files are modified and should be included in any backups.