This topic explains how to run a test from the SOAtest web service API.
The SOAP-based API covered in this topic concentrates on management, deployment, and execution of test assets.
The REST API (described in Testing through the REST API) focuses on operations associated with creating and updating assets.
- The web service API requires SOAtest Automation Edition.
- Before you can run a test from the web service API, you need to setup a project, .tst file, and test suites. See Adding Projects, .tst files, and Test Suites.
About the Web Service API
SOAtest's web service API enables web service clients to run tests on a remote machine running SOAtest. Web service mode is available for the Automation Edition of SOAtest. SOAtest can be started in web service mode as follows:
soatestcli -startServer -data <workspace_dir> -localsettings <localsettings_file>
-localsettings arguments are optional.
- -data specifies the Eclipse workspace location containing your test cases (.tst files).
- -localsettings specifies a properties file used to control certain global settings such as license password and Team Server settings. For more information about these command line arguments, see Testing from the Command Line Interface - soatestcli.
When starting SOAtest in this way, the Start deactivated, release automatically when idle option (in Parasoft> Preferences> Parasoft> License) needs to be disabled. Otherwise, you won’t be able to add this server from another SOAtest installation’s UI.
Make Sure Your License Supports SOAtest Server
If you using the combined SOAtest/Virtualize distribution, a Virtualize license is required to run SOAtest Server. In some instances, you may only have a license for SOAtest, i.e., if you are updating to a paid license from the Community License. Contact your Parasoft representative for additional information about licensing options.
The web service has three main operations:
- startTestExecution: Executes one or more tests.
- getExecutionStatus: Geta the status of a test run that has been launched on the SOAtest server.
- getResult: Gets the results of test runs that have been launched and completed on the SOAtest server.
For complete details on these and other available operations, see http://localhost:9080/axis2/wsdl-docs/SOAtestService.wsdl.xml (when SOAtest is running in server mode).