This topic explains how to configure and apply the WS-I tool in SOAtest and Virtualize. This tool checks WSDL conformance to WS-I's Basic Profile 2.0 (for SOAP 1.2), 1.2 (for SOAP 1.1) or 1.1 (also for SOAP 1.1). It can also be added to the Traffic Object output of a SOAP Client for validating SOAP message conformance. This tool requires a validate license.
This tool checks WSDL conformance to:
- The WS-I Basic Profile 2.0 interoperability specifications (2010) apply to SOAP 1.2. This profile is derived from the Basic Profile 1.1 and SSBP 1.0.
- The 2010 WS-I Basic Profile 1.2 interoperability specifications (2010) apply to SOAP 1.1. This profile is derived from the Basic Profile 1.1 and SSBP 1.0.
- The WS-I Basic Profile 1.1 interoperability specifications (2006) apply to SOAP 1.1. This profile is derived from the Basic Profile 1.0. SSBP (Simple SOAP Binding Protocol) 1.0 is derived from the parts of Basic Profile 1.0 related to serialization of envelopes and their representation in messages.
Verifying conformance to WS-I is especially useful in ensuring the interoperability of your service. By restricting service development to the technologies specified in the Basic Profiles, you can increase the odds that your service will interoperate with others’ systems. In the case of non-conformance, you can pinpoint exactly what needs to be changed to ensure interoperability.
The tool parses the WSDL, passes it to the Test Tools and produces a WS-I conformance report that can be viewed in a web browser or in the SOAtest or Virtualize internal editor. In addition to analyzing WSDLs, it can also analyze SOAP messages and validate their conformity to WS-I assertions.
As a test suite tool, it allows you to check WSDLs as part of your functional test scenario. As an output to a test suite’s SOAP Client tool, it can validate SOAP messages. To check interoperability during static analysis, use the "Check WS-I Interoperability" rule, which is in the Interoperability category. This rule has the same customization options as the WS-I tool.
Analyzing SOAP Messages for WS-I Conformance
The WS-I tool can be added to the Traffic Object output of a SOAP Client for validating SOAP message conformance.
You can customize the following options for all configurations:
- WSDL: Specifies the WSDL you would like to check.
- Profile: Specifies which Basic Profile you want to check conformance to.
When the tool is chained to the Traffic Object output of a SOAP Client, you can also customize the following option:
- Suppress request assertion failures: When enabled (default), any Basic Profile violations for the SOAP request are ignored.
When checking WS-I Basic Profile 1.1 + SSBP 1.0, you can customize the following options:
- -wsdlElement: The wsdlElement fields (parent, name, namespace, type) automatically populate after entering a valid WSDL in the wsdlURI field and pressing Enter on your keyboard.
- assertionResults: Specifies the type of assertion results that should appear in the conformance report. The valid options available in the assertionResults drop-down menu are as follows:
- all: Lists the results from all test assertions.
- notPassed: Lists all of the assertion test results except the ones that have a result of
- onlyFailed: Lists only the test assertion results which have a result of
- failureMessage: Specifies whether or not the pre-defined Basic Profile 1.1 error messages for each test assertion are included in the conformance report. If this box is unselected, the pre-defined error messages will not display in the conformance report. If this box is selected, the pre-defined error messages will display in the conformance report.
- failureDetail: Specifies whether or not error detail messages that are specific to your WSDL or SOAP artifacts are included in the conformance report. If this box is unselected, the error detail messages will not display in the conformance report. If this box is selected, the error detail messages will display in the conformance report.
Conformance Report Output
The WS-I tool produces an output file that contains the conformance report for the Web service corresponding to the WSDL you entered. This conformance report displays the test results for the assertions that have been processed. Also, the conformance report displays the conformance level for each test assertion that was processed, and may list detailed information for any errors that were encountered. The report also contains a summary of the test assertions results that indicate if the Web service passed or failed the conformance test.
After you have customized the WS-I tool, you can chain an Edit or Browse tool to display the output of the WS-I conformance report. To do so, complete any of the following:
- Right-click the WS-I test node and select Add Output from the shortcut menu. The Add Output dialog displays. Select Conformance Report from the left pane and Browse from the right pane and click Finish. After you run the WS-I test, a browser window will open and display a WS-I Profile Conformance Report.
- Right-click the WS-I test node and select Add Output from the shortcut menu. The Add Output dialog displays. Select Conformance Report from the left pane and Edit from the right pane and click Finish. After you run the WS-I test, the WS-I Profile Conformance Report displays in the right GUI panel.
For more information on the WS-I tool specifications, or for more information on WS-I conformance reports, see The following tutorial lesson demonstrates how to use this tool:
The following tutorial lesson demonstrates how to use this tool: