License Server stores and distributes license tokens to Parasoft products deployed to your network. Parasoft provides you with license passwords that you can add to and manage in License Server (administrator access required). Parasoft tools on your network can be configured to connect to License Server to retrieve a license.
Included in this section:
Adding a License
Your Parasoft representative will provide you with license passwords that you add to your License Server. The license passwords are specific to the machine ID on which License Server is running.
- Choose Management > Add New License from the License Server menu or click the Add New License quick link.
- Either fill out the license parameters in the Add New License form, or paste the complete license password as provided into the space provided. The password is sent in an email from your Parasoft representative.
- Click the Add license link to save changes.
About License Parameters
|Tool||Parasoft tool, e.g., dotTEST, C++test, SOAtest, etc.|
|Version||You can access the version number from the tool's About panel.|
|Architecture||The correct architecture for which the license is assigned must be selected (for example LINUX2; this is the first part of the machine ID).|
|Expiration date||You can enter the expiration date code given to you by your Parasoft representative, the date that the license server expires, or the time for which the license is valid. Use the format: mm/dd/yyyy or mm/dd/yy.|
|Password||The password code for the license.|
Information about the added license is accessible on the Installed Tool Licenses List page. An entry about this license will be added to the .psrc.xml file (the file that records license information); this file is located in the License Server installation directory.
Adding and Linking Upgrade Licenses to Base Licenses
An upgrade license extends the access rights of the base license by providing authorized access to the newer version of a licensed tool. Its limit is determined by the number of tokens available within the base license of the specific tool. Linking licenses allows you to use base license tokens or upgrade tokens interchangeably.
For example, if you purchase five licenses (tokens) but eventually upgrade to a new version of your product, you can link the old and new product versions and use the original five licenses across both versions. You could use three license tokens for the new version and two for the old version. You could also use all five for another other distribution.
Another reason why the upgrade license should be linked to its base license is because an upgrade license can only be reserved within the base license. By reserving base license tokens, you can use either main or upgrade tokens, based on your needs. See Reserving Licenses for instructions about how to do this. Any available upgrade licenses are displayed on the Manage Licenses page.
- Click the Link to link to open the Linking upgrade license page.
The Linking upgrade license page lists the upgrade license (on the right) and the proper base license to which the upgrade refers (on the left). Matching is done automatically based on the tool version and its features.
- Click the Select link to link the two licenses. You can click the Clear link to unlink the upgrade—removing authorized access to the upgraded version of the tool.
Viewing Installed Licenses
Choose Management > Manage Licenses from the License Server menu or click the Manage Licenses quick link to view a list of all licenses currently installed.
You can perform the following tasks:
- Click on a link in the Tool name column to view license details
- Click the Remove link to remove a license.
Viewing License Details
Click the supported tool name link in the Installed Tool Licenses List to view the following details
- Machine ID
- Expiration data
- Tokens (used/available/all) - The values shown in this row refer to the following token statuses:
- The used status refers to the number of tokens currently being used by Parasoft tools in your company
- The available status refers to the number of tokens that are available to be used by Parasoft tools in your company
The all status refers to the total number of installed (purchased) license tokens
- License features - All available licensed features are listed.
You can use the filter mechanism to manage access to the available license tokens. See Filtering License Access for details.
Reserving Floating Licenses
You can manually reserve a license token and allocate it to a specific user on a specific host. Use the format specified by the tools when specifying the host. Tools on different platforms use different formats, for example, the same machine can be defined in three different ways:
gina.parasoft.com.pl. You can verify the user/host format by checking the Tokens Usage Details or Licenses Usage Details report.
- Open the License Server home page and click Manage Licenses.
- Click on a tool name and specify a user name and host name.
- Specify the number of licenses needed and click the Add link.
The user name appears in the License Reserved section. You can remove one or all selected reservations if necessary.
Managing Machine-locked Licenses
Machine-locked licenses bind the license token to a machine ID for 30 days. During the 30-day reservation period, no other machine can request the token.
There are two ways that machine-locked license is allocated:
- when a tool requests an available license token, or
- when the License Server administrator manually allocates the token to a machine ID.
You can prevent specific users or user groups from automatically reserving tokens upon request. See Filtering License Access for details.
Manually Reserving a Machine-locked License
- Open the License Server home page and click Manage Licenses.
- Click on a license link in the Tool Name column.
- Locate the Reserve licenses section.
Specify a machine ID.
Getting the machine ID
Parasoft products include a utility for accessing the machine ID. Refer to your tool's documentation for instructions.
- Re-enter the machine ID and click [Apply].
Releasing a Machine-locked License Token
After the 30-day reservation period, a [Remove] link will appear in the license details page. Click the link to remove the reservation and make the token available for other machines.
- From the Installed Tool Licenses List, click the [Remove] link that corresponds to the appropriate tool license to remove.
- Confirm that you want to remove the license when prompted.
Information about the removed license is displayed.